15 Ways to Stay Cool as a Cucumber When Summer Heats Up!
WOW! We are in the midst of a midsummer heatwave! 90’s for the next several days! Summer is one of my favorite seasons! I enjoy the sunny days, late sunsets, early sunrises, time at the beach, and dining al fresco. I’m not so fond of the 3 H’s… HAZY, HOT & HUMID!
Truth be told, the 3 H’s make me feel like a wrung-out dishrag! Ever since I can remember I’ve had a very low heat tolerance in the summer! This is probably why I’ve become an expert at staying COOL when it’s HOT outside! And…why I don’t particularly enjoy tropical climates!
Here are some of my favorite ways to Stay Cool as a Cucumber When Summer Heats Up!
- Avoid heating up the kitchen – Eat small, cool meals such as salads with chilled protein: shrimp, chicken salad, poached salmon or beef strips done on the grill in the cooler morning hours. Fruits like melons, berries, grapes, peaches and apples make great desserts or snacks. One of my favorite summer dessert treats is coconut milk ice cream!
- Stay hydrated – Avoid caffeinated, alcoholic & hot beverages, instead opt for good old H2O or sparkling water with fruit juice ice cubes.
- Brew & drink some Chrysanthemum tea, it lowers your body temperature.
Keep it Cool Inside
- Close the curtains and blinds during the day to keep the sun from heating up your rooms.
- Use ceiling or oscillating fans to keep the air moving around, even if you have AC.
- Keep the lights off – lightbulbs heat up space pretty quickly.
Sweet Cool Slumber
- Opt for very lightweight, loose-fitting cotton PJs.
- Choose natural fiber bedding – cotton or linen sheets & blankets will keep you cooler than synthetic bedding. Use feather or down pillows with cotton covers.
- Place an old-fashioned water bottle filled with ice water in your bed right before you lay down.
Keep Your Body Cool
- Wear light-colored, loose-fitting, natural fiber clothing.
- Take a lukewarm bath or shower and rinse with cool water. Use a cooling mint soap or body wash and body lotion.
- Chill your skincare products in the fridge for a refreshing facial treatment.
- Put damp washcloths, folded in half, in the freezer to use as a cooling neck wrap.
- Place a chilled bottle of water on the inside of your wrists, ankles, and knees for a quick cool down.
- Avoid strenuous exercise/activity during the hottest part of the day.
When you use any – or all – of these Chilly Tips, you will be able to keep your cool and breeze through those hot, steamy summer days like a ROCKSTAR!
Leave your thoughts in the comments below…which is your favorite tip? Which do you wish you’d thought of?
Make this YOUR year to SPARKLE & SHINE!
I BELIEVE in YOU!